Point mutations analysis and exercise generator (Mutations).
Description: Very simple molecular genetics application, dealing with point mutations. The program may be used in two different ways:
- Analysis of point mutations in DNA sequences entered by the user.
- Point mutation exercise generator.
Mutations actually supported (one single mutation per sequence): 1-base substitutions (transitions and transversions), 1-base indel mutations, 2-same-bases inserts, 3-same-bases inserts at a codon position.
The application includes the standard genetic code table, a genetics help text concerning point mutations, as well as help concerning the program usage.
Version 1.0 issues (see application help text for details):
- Some 3-base insertions are not recognized as being done at a codon position and no analyse will be done in these cases.
- Indel mutations, that induce the appearance of a stop codon downstream from the mutation site, are not trated the same way in analyse and exercise mode.
- Some features aren't yet implemented.
Possible extensions: 3-same-bases insertions at a non-codon position. 2 or more mutations per sequence (would be lots of work, I
Free Pascal features: Working with Memo field data. Using string-grids to display table data. Hiding/showing controls depending
on the run-time situation.